A Message from the National Chairs
"When we dropped our son at Duke for the start of his Freshman year in August of 2011, our first thought was, “Can we stay as well?” The Duke campus radiates an energy and has that effect on people. Fortunately for our son, we did leave him on that hot August day. But thanks to our work with the Duke Parents Committee, we have become deeply involved with the university and have built our own special bonds with this extraordinary place. We feel honored to work alongside talented faculty and enthusiastic parents in supporting the important work of the Parents Committee and in the process have built lasting friendships. As Chairs, we look forward to meeting you and encourage you to get involved. We are confident that you too will feel this same connection and be glad that you did."
David and Marion Mussafer P'15, P'19
The Duke Parents Committee is made up of non-alumni parents who serve a one-year renewable term and are asked to:
- Make a leadership gift that is commensurate with their philanthropic capacity and passion for Duke, with the minimum gift being at the Washington Duke Society Level.
- Secure financial support from assigned parents (5-7 parent families) for the Duke Annual Fund by phone, letter, email, personal visits, or any combination of methods.
- Report the results of contact to the Class Co-Chairs and the Parents Program staff. Training materials are provided, and volunteers can conduct these solicitations in the way that is most comfortable for them.
- Volunteers also have the option of writing thank-you notes if they are not comfortable making solicitations.
- Volunteers receive notification of any gifts received through daily alerts and monthly prospect updates.
- Serve as ambassadors for Duke by helping to build relationships between Duke parents and the university.
- Identify potential Parents Committee members by reviewing rosters of incoming undergraduate students.
- Attend Committee events during Family Weekend as schedules allow. Please note dates and times for travel planning.
- New Member Welcome Gathering Friday, October 20, 3:00-4:15 p.m., Kirby Horton Hall, Sarah P. Duke Gardens. Meet your Class Co-Chairs, hear from guest speaker Sue Wasiolek '76, M.H.A '78, L.L.M '93, Associate Vice President and Dean of Students, and get some pointers and training for tackling your prospect list.
- Parents Leadership Cocktail Reception Friday, October 20, 7:00-9:00 p.m., Nasher Museum of Art. This event is for the entire family.
- Parents Committee Meeting, Saturday, October 21, 8:00-10:30 a.m., Washington Duke Inn. Parents Program update, remarks by President Vincent Price, and special presentation by General Martin Dempsey G'84, 18th Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and Rubenstein Fellow, Duke University. In addition, there will be entertainment!
- Family Weekend Pre-Game Event Saturday, October 21, time & location TBD.
- Attend regional Duke parent events as schedules allow.
The Duke Parents Committee has 500+ members whose enthusiasm and commitment fuel the success of the Duke Parents Program. Members enjoy developing a connection with the university and with each other, and many parent volunteers choose to stay active on the committee even after their children graduate.
Want to get involved?
Contact us at (919) 684-4419 or email@example.com.