With a charitable gift annuity (CGA), Duke University pays you a fixed income for life in exchange for a gift of cash or stock of $10,000 or more. This CGA agreement between you and the university can be established to pay one or two people, which make them especially attractive arrangements for individuals or married couples who seek an income in retirement. After you pass away, the balance of your original gift will be applied to the purpose you have chosen at Duke.
Duke offers three CGA options to establish an income during retirement:
- Immediate payment CGA can begin payouts to you right away.
- Deferred CGA provides strategic ways to increase income in the future.
- Flexible CGA offers more options to defer payments and increase your lifetime income.
Benefits of a CGA
- Receive current income tax deduction.
- Receive a fixed income for you and/or your loved ones for life.
- Establish a gift with as little as $10,000.
- Enjoy charitable deductions and other tax-saving opportunities.
- Support the area of Duke most meaningful to you.
- Your gift to Duke establishes a charitable gift annuity.
- Immediate income tax deduction and a fixed annual payment for your lifetime.
- Upon death, the remainder goes to support the area of Duke most important to you.
Fixed v. Variable Income
Duke also issues charitable remainder annuity trusts with gifts of $100,000 or more. Like a gift annuity, an annuity trust makes fixed payments; however, the tax treatment of an annuity trust differs. In general, a gift annuity will receive a more favorable tax treatment if you are making a gift with cash or highly appreciated assets. Duke’s Office of Gift Planning can help you determine which gift vehicle is best for your particular situation.
Personalized Gift Annuity Illustrations
Contact Duke University’s Office of Gift Planning for a personalized illustration of the estimated tax deductions and CGA payout rates currently available based on your age, anticipated gift amount and the date you would like to begin receiving payments.
Unwrapping Gifts: Charitable Gift Annuities
Jeremy Arkin, assistant vice president of gift planning, describes how a charitable gift annuity at Duke can be part of a smart financial plan in this three-minute video.