The Annual Fund is essential to propelling Duke forward, and its most loyal donors are a pivotal part of that. In order to highlight and recognize the Annual Fund’s most loyal donors, we have the Cornerstone Society. This past year, we are proud to say that there were more than 30,000 members of the Cornerstone Society. Gifts from members of the Cornerstone Society represented 65% of the overall total of Annual Fund donors.
Donors who have supported the Annual Fund at any amount for five or more consecutive years are recognized as members. Undergraduates who have supported the Annual Fund every year since graduation (or since our computerized records began) are further recognized as lifetime donors. Membership in the Cornerstone Society is renewable annually. Our fiscal year is from July 1 through June 30.
Cornerstone Society members are also acknowledged in respective donor honor rolls, and are invited to various events throughout the year.
For a limited time, we offered a BuyBack Opportunity to all Annual Fund donors who missed giving in fiscal year 2020 (July 1, 2019 to June 30, 2020) due to the pandemic and unrest across the country. This incentive opportunity enabled any donor who supported the Duke Annual Fund from July 1, 2020 through December 31, 2020 to receive recognition credit for fiscal year 2021 and fiscal year 2020! Because of the BuyBack, donors were able to continue to accrue consecutive years of Annual Fund giving without being penalized for missing fiscal year 2020.
Leadership Giving Societies
Last year, gifts from leadership gift society members represented more than 85% of the Annual Fund’s cash total. These critical funds enabled the University to not only meet pressing needs in the classroom and across campus, but additionally to innovate and create new academic opportunities that are essential for Duke to continue to excel!
Impact of Leadership Giving
- $1,000 can send a student to a professional conference in their field to present research, helping new scholars launch their careers and cultivate valuable networks
- $5,000 can support a summer internship overseas for a student interested in working for nonprofits or governmental organizations
- $10,000 can support a student entrepreneur in the Student Founders Program who is delivering extraordinary impact by pursuing startup ventures
- $25,000 could enable a school to impact the Durham community, such as hiring a student fellow in the Duke Law Civil Justice Clinic
- $60,000 can provide financial aid to fully fund tuition for one undergraduate who may not otherwise be able to attend Duke
Duke has a number of leadership giving societies so that our most generous donors are recognized for their philanthropy and generosity. Membership is based on unrestricted gifts made or facilitated by an individual and their spouse. Corporate matching gifts count toward membership if received or verified within the same fiscal year the gift was made.
Membership is renewable annually, and Duke's fiscal year is from July 1 through June 30.
The Duke Annual Fund Leadership Giving Societies recognize all donors to the Duke Annual Fund. In addition, particular schools and units distinguish donors at various giving levels within the respective school or unit.
Duke Annual Fund Leadership Giving Societies
|Washington Duke Society||
|Young Alumni Leadership Society||
|Student Leadership Society||
Benefits of Membership
- Invitations to special leadership events*
- Donor may opt in to receive special edition 12-month wall calendar*
- Recognition in appropriate honor rolls (please note that the criteria for inclusion in a particular honor roll varies by school and unit; not all schools and units produce donor honor rolls)
- For personal assistance with Duke matters or information about gift clubs, please contact:
- Carolyn Miller, Assistant Director of Stewardship, firstname.lastname@example.org or 919-684-0773
- Matt Cloues, Director of Alumni & Leadership Giving, email@example.com or 919-681-0485
- Randy Garcia, Senior Assistant Director of Leadership Giving, firstname.lastname@example.org or 919-681-0420
- Heather Bennett, Director of Development, Duke Parents Program, email@example.com or 919-681-0415
- President’s Society members who give $10,000 or more are offered a book/e-book of their choice from a selection of Duke titles*
- Young Alumni Leadership donors may choose to receive an e-book from a Duke author (selection will change each year)*
- President’s Society members who give under $100,000 will receive a five percent discount to the Duke Executive Health Program, and those who give above $100,000 will receive a 10 percent discount. For more information about the program, please visit http://www.dukeexechealth.org or call 919-660-6606 to sign up.
If you have questions or would like additional information about joining any of our gift clubs, please contact Carolyn Miller, Assistant Director of Stewardship in the Annual Fund, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 919-684-0773.
*Not available at this time due to COVID-19
Recognizing Giving by School/Unit
Six of Duke's schools, along with the Nasher Museum of Art and the Sarah P. Duke Gardens, have established their own giving societies to further recognize annual supporters. Follow the links below to each school or unit's website for further information about these giving societies and the benefits of membership.
|Divinity Patron||$10,000 - $24,999|
|Divinity Sponsor||$5,000 - $9,999|
|Divinity Fellow||$2,500 - $4,999|
|York Society||$1,000 - $2,499|
|Dean's Club||$500 - $999|
|1926 Club||$250 - $499|
|Century Club||$100 - $249|
|Rex D. Adams Society
Cumulative Commitments to Fuqua
|Thomas F. Keller Leadership Donor Society||$1,000+|
|Blue Sky Level||$25,000+|
|Blue Sky Vanguard Level||$10,000 - $24,999|
|Summit Society Level||$1,000 - $9,999|
|The Bessie Baker Society honors the generosity of individuals who have made an annual fund gift of $1,000 or more ($500 for recent nursing school graduates) to the Duke University School of Nursing.|
|Bessie baker society|
|Member (within five years of graduation; first degree only)||$500|
|The School of Law's giving societies recognize all annual giving to the school, not only unrestricted gifts to the school's annual fund.|
|Barrister Donor Society*|
|The Latty Circle||$100,000+|
|The Everett Circle||$50,000 - $99,999|
|The Shimm Circle||$25,000 - $49,999|
|The Dean's Circle||$10,000 - $24,999|
|Partner||$5,000 - $9,999|
|Member||$2,500 - $4,999|
|* Recent graduates of 1-5 years, judges, educators, and those who work for the government or in public service are members at $1,000 annually.|
|Leadership Society||$10,000 - $24,999|
|Dean's Circle||$5,000 - $9,999|
|Davison Fellow||$2,500 - $4,999|
|Family Member||$1,500 - $2,499|
|Member||$1,000 - $1,499|
|Recent Graduate Member (5-9 years since graduation)||$500 - $999|
Recent Graduate Member (1-4 years since graduation)
|$250 - $999|
Other Annual Giving
|Gold||$5,000 - $9,999|
|Silver||$2,500 - $4,999|
|Bronze||$1,500 - $2,499|
|Other Supporting Member Categories|
|Benefactor||$1,000 - $1,499|
|Sustainer||$500 - $999|
|Patron||$250 - $499|
|Sponsor||$120 - $249|
|DUKE GARDENS SOCIETY|
|other supporting member categories|
|Sustaining Gardens Partner||$750|
|Contributing Gardens Partner||$500|
|Supporting Gardens Partner||$250|
|Family Level Member||$100|
|Dual Level Member||$75|