An IRA rollover gift can be an easy and effective way to make a gift to Duke. IRA owners age 70 ½ or older to make a direct, tax-free transfer of up to $100,000 a year from their individual retirement account to a public charity like Duke University. Donors can now consider using IRA rollover gifts to satisfy multi-year pledges to the Annual Fund, create or add to endowments, or support other charitable purposes at Duke.
Benefits of an IRA rollover gift:
- Reduce your taxable income.
- Donation counts toward your annual required minimum distribution.
- Make annual transfers of up to $100,000 each year.
- Fulfill multiple charitable purposes at Duke, such as pledge payments and more.
- Have an immediate charitable impact during your lifetime.
A testamentary gift of an IRA to Duke may be more appropriate for donors who do not have sufficient assets to consider a lifetime charitable IRA rollover. This can be done by naming Duke University as a primary or contingent beneficiary of the IRA on a beneficiary designation form available from the IRA’s plan administrator. An IRA can also be left to fund a life income gift (charitable gift annuity or charitable remainder unitrust) for a loved one.